Mystic Museum of Art’s Schuster and Liebig Galleries regularly feature selections from the Museum’s permanent collection — which consists of over 250 works of art — by founding artists and longtime Elected Artist members.
Mystic Museum of Art began as an artist colony under the leadership of Charles Harold Davis in 1913. Since its founding, MMoA has fostered the arts in southeastern Connecticut by exhibiting and collecting the works of prominent American artists. The works of Robert Brackman, Beatrice Cuming, and Henry Ward Ranger are included within the permanent collection. The collection ranges from the first quarter of the twentieth century to the early 2000s, representing the long history of Mystic Museum of Art. American Impressionism, Tonalism, and other forms of expression are among those styles represented within our collection. The collection provides a glimpse into the significant art-making practice that has existed in this region.
Founding Artists: Gladys Edgerly Bates, Kenneth Bates, Earnest H. Barnes, Murray Bewley, Beonne Boronda, Lester Boronda, Robert Brackman, Beatrice Cumming, Charles H. Davis, G.Victor Grinnell, Julian Joseph, Walt Killam, Carl Lawless, Nat Little, J. Olaf Olson, Y.E. Soderberg, Harve Stein, Herbert M. Stoops, G. Albert Thompson, Lars Thorsen, George E. Tingley, David Birdsie Walkley, J. Alden Weir, & Charles H. Woodbury
Over the last two years, Mystic Museum of Art has been fortunate to add several new acquisitions to our archival collections. Thank you to the donors who have entrusted the care of such works of art to us.
Selections from the Permanent Collection
Earl Kenneth Bates (1895–1973), The Great Oak, 1909. Oil on canvas
Herbert Morton Stoops (1887–1948), Untitled. Oil on canvas
Beatrice Lavis Cuming (1903–1974), Industrial Scene: Montville Stacks, Oil on canvas