Agnes Harrison Lincoln (1870-1954)
Pastel on paper
Mystic Museum of Art Permanent Collection
Donated by Victoria Payne Harper
Agnes Harrison was born in Minnesota, the daughter of an English-born architect who designed many of the flour mills of what was then the small, prospering city of Minneapolis. Disinterested in the busy social calendar of her family’s circle in Minneapolis, Harrison moved to Boston in the late 1880s to enroll at the Museum School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, where he studied painting with J. Alden Weir and Edmund Tarbell.
In 1906, she married Henry Ware Lincoln. In 1908 after her only child, John Ware Lincoln, was born, Lincoln returned to Minneapolis a single mother, separated from her husband. She moved in with her parents and began one of her most productive phases of painting and drawing. She specialized in flower pastels and portrait and figure painting, and participated in a number of early exhibitions at the newly opened Minneapolis Institute of Arts beginning in 1917. In a 1929 exhibition featuring works by Twin City artists, Agnes was awarded first prize in painting and an honorable mention in drawing.
Agnes spent the later part of her career in Connecticut and Kenosha, Wisconsin, serving as Director of the Art Department at Kemper Hall in Kenosha, Wisconsin from 1931 to 1939. She passed away in Massachusetts.