Seeking Children’s Art Teachers
MMoA teachers facilitate art education for children ages 3 to 18 in our studios and galleries as well as off-site as part of the Education Department’s extensive programs to nurture creativity in the community.
Contractual teachers are sought for all programs, but particularly for week-long summer camps, outreach programs, weekend birthday parties, and after-school art classes for ages 3-12. Teachers must be able to identify learning goals and design effective art lesson plans in a variety of media, for a targeted age range. Hours vary by season and according to demand, allowing teachers a flexible schedule. MMoA teachers may teach at a frequency they prefer, ranging from a few hours per month to 20 + hours per week during busier periods.
- B.A. in studio art, or art education; teaching certifications preferred. Equivalent experience will be considered
- At least 1 year experience teaching children preferred
- Experience teaching in both studio and/or gallery environments or similar
- Ability to adapt to diverse types of learners and experience levels
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Time management skills and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team
- Ability to apply diplomacy in difficult situations
- Reliable and dependable
- Ability to stand and/or be mobile for at least 90 minutes at a time
- A background check is required for all teachers working with students under 18 years of age
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, sample lesson plan and three professional references to: Mary Addison, Director of Education at MAddison@MysticMuseumofArt.org or mail to: Mystic Museum of Art, 9 Water Street, Mystic, CT 06355