Careers at Mystic Museum of Art
External Affairs Director
POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The External Affairs Director (EAD) serves as MMoA’s chief fund raising officer and is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of the Museum’s fundraising including the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns, and develops the strategy for donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. The position is a key member of the senior management team, reports to the Executive Director and works closely with him, the Board of Directors, and other museum staff in all development and fund raising activities. The EAD will also be responsible to build & execute integrated, institutional marketing and development plans cross-departmentally for greatest success for the MMoA.with primary goals of audience development, strategic business development with integrated marketing activities to align corporate brands and heighten our profile and build development revenue
The most important roles for the EAD position are the following:
- Work with the senior leadership of MMoA to establish and execute a strategic and comprehensive development plan that will support the operating and capital needs of the museum for the present and the long term.
- Aggressively lead and direct the organization and implementation of the museum’s fundraising from individual, corporate, foundation, and government sources. Key initiatives include the ongoing identification and cultivation of individual and corporate donors, with particular focus on accessing new constituencies and major gift development, an increased emphasis on the effective stewardship of donors, developing a more robust planned giving and legacy building program, and the productive use of research and data.
- Work with MMoA senior leadership to motivate and strengthen the Board in its role in development and expand, manage, and coordinate the Board members and other volunteers’ involvement in fundraising activities.
- Work closely with staff, Board members, and other volunteers to maximize the effectiveness of MMoA special events, in order to help develop, attract, and retain donors.
- Team with the President, Board, and other staff to enhance MMoA’s public identity and positioning, foster positive external relations and build long-term strategic alliances, and play an active, public role as a spokesperson and representative of the museum.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director help prepare and manage the department’s financial reports and budget; monitor the development budget and control expenses, and oversee the administration of the development department, its procedures and policies.
- Supervise and manage the research and preparation of all foundation, corporate and government grant proposals, and oversee grant administration and reporting.
- Serve as staff lead on the Advancement Committee.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Erika Neenan at ENeenan@mysticmuseumofart.org. No phone calls please.